Monday, March 8, 2010

In the air

"Spring is in the air" and "Love is in the air" are two horrible clichés that I use to express my enthusiasm about the weather and romantic prospects.

To that end, I keep seeing flyers and getting reminders about a speed dating event that Highlander is hosting this Saturday. A bunch of years ago, Denise and I actually met at speed dating. Neither of us developed any romantic relationships from the event, but we did have some good stories to share.

Have you done speed dating lately? Or rather, can you fess up to having done it lately?

My friend Heather, speed dater extraordinaire, enjoyed the experience: "It gets you out of the house." Her advice? "Fish with a big net when it comes to dating. Why not?" She is very positive, our Heather, about dating for sport.

I also got an email from UrbanDaddy about the New York launch of How about we. It's a service where you type in your idea of a good date. Mine might say, "How about we play tennis, eat dinner, and then go to a basketball game?"

That might seem boring, but these are the activities that I truly enjoy. The only things missing are a nap, a game of Scrabble, and baking cookies. (That could be the second date; doing these things on a first date suggests that I'm wussy or listless.)

Anyway, this dating service looks revolutionary. Their website says, "We think people are at their best when they're free to say what they want to do and then do it, together."

It sounds so simple.


2 comments:

Denise said...

Ah yes, the best thing to come of speed dating circa 2001 was our friendship. The memories of a guy wearing red jeans is a far second place, though :)

Naomi said...

I wonder what happened to Red Jeans? I also wonder, if we had to be reduced to nicknames, how people would have remembered us.