Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tennis: Honey Badgers’ loss

I knew Princeton would be challenging, but the fact that we beat them on their home courts in our first meeting had given me hope.

At #1 singles, Sandy truly put up a honey badger fight — and came away with the closest match of the night, a 7-5, 6-3 loss. It was wonderful to see you and Wendy talking afterward about what a great match you had. And you aced her a couple times? Tremendous!

At #1 doubles, Patrice and I had our first loss of the season at 3.5. Being down 5-0 in the second set, I said, "Any ideas?" And she said no and laughed. That actually made me feel better. And then we won three games! I wish we could have played longer and taken it to a third set; there is no one else I would rather strategize with. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to you, but I hope you weren't plagued by nightmares about Jan crazily piloting a pink couch.

Becky and Jan, Carol and Jean, and Lisa, I didn't get to talk to you about your matches — after our team lost, maybe we didn't all feel like sharing the specifics. (If you did, we can still do that!) I will say that Jean, I'm glad Amy didn't take out your eye. She definitely has some honey badger qualities, too.

Patty, the homemade nuts and caramel brownies helped ease the pain. But I especially appreciated you staying late and talking. Not as much fun as our Sunday brunches, but sitting in the near-dark having someone to reflect with was just what I needed.

Beth, Dianne, Katie, Colleen and Kevin, Dan and Mary, Eric, Terry, and Jennifer, thank you so much for cheering us on. I know there are many things in life other than tennis, so it meant a lot to me that you were there.

My friends also deserve some props. Chris, I appreciate the good wishes and conversations about Biofreeze. Hal, thanks for the many Mexican lunches. Kelsey and the jewelry Janes, it's so thoughtful that you ask how things are going. Kelsey, I loved all the fist pumps, good luck texts, and "You can do it!"s. And Keith, you are the best for dropping off wine. I'm lucky to be surrounded by terrific people in tennis and in life.

Yes, this was a tough night. At 29 and 16 (compared to Princeton's 37 and 8), we are now out of the running for playoffs.

But I am so proud of our team and our efforts. Everyone played hard. And if we were going to get swept, who better to do it than the team that came in second at state last year?

As always, onward!

Go team!

No comments: