Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tennis: Honey Badgers’ fifth team win

Another team win!

We played tonight's match indoors at Bluemound, which to me is one of the toughest places to play. Being indoors is great in the winter, but when it's summer and the fans make noise without really cooling, well, that depletes my energy.

But enough about the conditions. Here's the rundown:

At #1 singles, Kelly gave it her best against Peggy. I did not see the match, but I could tell from her face afterward (red!) how hard she had worked. Kelly, we love, love, love your effort and your stamina.

On the second court, Katie won her match 6-2, 6-1. She is a quiet winner, our Katie, stealthily beating her opponents. Though I'd love to know her secret, there's no point in overanalyzing what works (subtle fist pump here).

At doubles, we all had decisive straight-set wins. Patrice and I finished at 6-1, 6-1. I felt like we were more like ourselves tonight with set-ups and put-aways. And I even ate a chicken crunch salad for lunch instead of Qdoba. Crazy, isn't it?

Beth and Colleen won 6-1, 6-2. They also won when we played the Bluemound team at our first match. I didn't start blogging until the week after, but their win that night was a bright spot in our overall team loss. Glad to see history repeat itself! You make a good team.

Dianne and Marilee, who have both played with several different partners, won 6-0, 6-1 in the dungeon, the separately enclosed court. Nice! Marilee subbed for Sandy, who had a suspicious story about an injury while fixing the over-algae-fied pond. (I'm just kidding. Sandy, we need you healthy. Glad you rested tonight.)

Sandy's injury didn't keep her from coming to cheer us on. I love that. Lisa, thank you, too, for staying to the end on a busy work night. And Jean, you put my worry to rest with your willingness to be a last-minute sub.

All of us — our opponents included — are Highlander members. Three years ago, I was on their team. They were my introduction to summer league and permanent court time. There were book clubs and parties. We go way back.

So it's a crazy tangle of emotions, because I never want my friends to lose.

But the season goes on. And our record improves to 21-9. Cheers to all my teammates, past and present.

Go team(s)!

No comments: