Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tennis: Honey Badgers’ third team win

Tonight we traveled to the cavernous building that is Princeton, to take on the top team in our flight. Before our match, they were 13-2. They went to playoffs last year.

So we had our work cut out for us.

After doing some juggling because of schedules, I emailed Patty and mentioned different lineup options. "Stay with your first instincts," she said.

I kept the original lineup, putting Patrice and me at #2 doubles.

So, did you know that Princeton has low ceilings? Yet I could not stop lobbing. I'm sure the people watching from the viewing area upstairs were puzzled by this. I know I was.

Amy slammed plenty of overhead winners at us. And yet somehow we got through it. (It's not that I say this casually. I just couldn't tell you specifically what we did to get through it.) But we did: 7-6, 6-3.

Becky and Jan took their court in three sets. They are so terrific together, and I knew Becks would have her game face on when she called to tell me she arrived an hour early. (Okay, it was by accident, but still.) I never, ever underestimate the two of them as a team.

And Sandy! Not only did she win in straight sets, she came back from a 4-0 deficit in the second set to take it 7-5. Wow! Could you do that in your first singles match of the season? I love the spirit and toughness!

Beth, Marilee, and Lisa, kudos for going out there and playing honey-badger style. You had to take on the best of the best, being in the #1 spots. We know how tough that is (I've had to play Wendy twice — unfortunately, she is a honey badger, too). Way to play hard!

And Carol and Dianne and Patty, thank you for staying till the very end and sharing cake for Beth's birthday. There was lots to celebrate.

Tonight was truly an achievement: Four weeks into the season, we are the only team to win against Princeton. The only!

I'll leave you with a reminder — the good luck message that Jean, who couldn't play tonight, sent all of us before the match:

"You can beat 'em. Don't forget who we are. The fierce, fighting Honey Badgers!"

Go team!

No comments: