Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oh no, Papa! Not the Tupperware!

Last week I came home to find my (clean) Tupperware on the floor. Papa had pulled it out of my tote bag and chewed it. Oh no, Papa!

It's understandable. That was some good soup, and the smell probably lingered in the container, even after I washed it.

This is one of my favorite soups. I first had it when Linda, my co-worker at BeadStyle, brought it for a Kalmbach potluck. So here's the recipe. Those are her comments, but I would also add: I use Breakstone’s sour cream (the best!), 1% milk, and sharp cheddar. Also, I never add milk to thin it out, but that’s a matter of personal preference. And if you add an extra potato, the soup will be thick, like a chowder.

Baked Potato Soup
4 large baking potatoes
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
6 c. milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 green onions, chopped and divided
12 slices cooked bacon, crumbled and divided
1 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
8 oz. sour cream

Bake the potatoes. Cool to handleable. Remove the pulp.

Melt butter, add flour. Stir. Add milk, simmer until mixture thickens. Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 Tbsp. green onions, 1/2 c. bacon, 1 c. cheese. Cook. Stir in sour cream. Add extra milk to thin, if necessary.

I often make this in the morning and put it in the crock pot on low for the day, but I don't put in the sour cream until the end. I usually serve it with bowls of bacon, sour cream, cheese, and onions, so people can add extra. This fills my crock pot, so I'd say it's about 2-1/2 to 3 quarts of soup — about 6-8 meal-sized bowls, but that's just a guess.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Naomi. Can you make me the soup? I will bring the wine and dessert! :-)