Saturday, March 29, 2008

On writing well

While waiting to see a doctor at the urgent care clinic last night, I had time to read 30 pages of William Zinsser’s On Writing Well. He tells writers to simplify and write clearly. Good advice, but I’ll spare you the symptoms of why I was at the clinic; let’s just sum it up as digestive distress.

The doctor and nurses were really nice. In fact, I rarely have bad experiences at the doctor; I just bring a good book to pass the time. Anyway, the doctor said I was doing the right things: soup, saltines, ginger ale. She recommended the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. (Wouldn’t it have been great if she meant a grilled sausage with raw onions and a bit of mayo?)

So I went to the grocery store and picked up the bland items. I also bought mac and cheese and blackberries, in anticipation of my triumphant return to dairy products and acidic fruit.

Even though my weekend is off to an inauspicious start, I figure I’ll have plenty of time to relax and enjoy reading my reference books. I wish you an uneventful weekend, too.

No comments: