Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tennis 2012: Le Club, Week 3

After Rebekah's request for a recap, I decided to blog about our team's matches. (Rebekah, I appreciate your enthusiasm, considering that you already know the results.) So here's my lightly editorialized summary of our meeting with the Badger team:

At #1 singles, Jessica lost a tough match, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. Someone mentioned that your opponent used to be a 4.5. Tough, I'm just saying. You are terrific in those marathon matches (as we all saw last week at Highlander).

Sandy got her first 4.0 win in decisive fashion: 6-0, 6-1. Though you did try to trick us by reversing the color of the scorecards, the entire team was excited once we caught on. We are really proud of you!

At #1 doubles, Tash and Kristen won, 6-4, 7-6. Nice win against a solid team! I was too nervous to watch the tiebreak — not because I doubted you but because I have just been extremely high strung lately. (It could be something about Court 7.)

At #2 doubles, Mary and Rebekah cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 victory. It's good to see the two of you playing together. Mary, I love your all-business style of play. And Rebekah, I'm glad the "little surgery" you gave yourself helped your thumb.

On the third court, our opponents took it 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, but Ann and Nora were so tenacious! This is only my second year being teammates with you, but I've already seen so many triumphant tiebreakers. (One of the greatest was Jane and Nora at State combo playoffs, down 9-8 and coming back to win. I just love that!)

We celebrated our 3-2 team victory with really, really good sandwiches and, of course, booze.

If you want a reminder of Weeks 1 and 2, we went 0-5 against Oconomowoc High School and 4-1 against Highlander. I'll spare you the recaps because, well, that would be so two weeks ago. Instead, I'll look forward to more good times as the team historian.

Cheers, teammates!

No comments: