Sunday, April 26, 2009

The easiest quiche ever

Okay, so this is the only quiche I've ever made. For some reason, I've always thought of quiche as fussy, and I don't usually keep pastry crusts on hand. When I host a brunch, I like to hit all the major food groups — meat, eggs, sweet baked goods, and fruit. Scrambled eggs are tasty, but they're a bit unsightly. So I wanted something savory and pretty.

I could type out the Quick Quiche recipe for you, but then you wouldn't read the helpful reviews. Sometimes the allrecipes.com audience is a bit verbose, but they always have handy tips about substitutions, cooking times, etc. I figured it wasn't too risky to try a 4½-star recipe with over 300 reviews.

My little twists: I used half Swiss and half Kerrygold cheddar and reduced the salt to ½ tsp. I also added fresh chopped spinach (the prewashed stuff). One other thing: I sauteed the onions for a couple of minutes in bacon grease. (I did not, however, grease the pie plate with bacon drippings.)

Mary pronounced it both tasty and tasteful. As in, appropriate for brunch. My favorite part: It really was easy, even for a novice like me.

No comments: