Monday, March 9, 2009

One of my favorite books

I just re-read one of my favorite books, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer. This time, I read it with an eye for excerpts that Bill could interpret photographically. I loved this book just as much as the first time I read it, but I was surprised that there weren't many excerpts I wanted to see translated visually. Maybe that's because I already have an idea of what the story looks like.

So here's the one I picked, from page 13. It's part of a conversation that Oskar (who's 9) is having with his dad:

He said, “We exist because we exist.” “What the?” “We could imagine all sorts of universes unlike this one, but this is the one that happened.”

I understood what he meant, and I didn’t disagree with him, but I didn’t agree with him either. Just because you’re an atheist, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t love for things to have reasons for why they are.


So true, isn't it?

By the way, here's a (lighthearted) runner-up. This line appears by itself on page 20, without punctuation:

And I wouldn't say no to something sweet

Aren't you curious what this book is about? If you get a chance, read it! And also consider giving Bill an excerpt to work with.

No comments: