Saturday, November 10, 2007

My vacation in San Francisco, Day One

Friday was a whirlwind. I woke up at 4 a.m., flew to Kansas City, got delayed on the SF flight, and waited an hour in the BART line. I finally arrived at my friend Linda's condo south of Market, then had time for a quick nap before coffee with Steven James. Maybe you know him: he has lots of jewelry and home decor projects in BeadStyle. He also designs gorgeous Christmas ornaments. (My favorite: a metal frame encasing a note that reads, "To have love, you must give yours away.") Steven and I talk only a couple of times a year, but our conversations always come back to the theme of creativity and how to find an outlet for it. Deep stuff. On my next visit, I hope to see him for longer than 40 minutes.

I went to Craft Gym for my Cool Jewels book signing. Jackie, Leah, and Kay were incredibly welcoming and had a spread of appetizers from Leland Tea. It was a quiet night, so we made earrings and noshed on tomato and fresh mozzarella salad, veggie hummus, edamame, and bread with Brie and figs. We chatted about the craft scene in general and their studio in particular. Sewing and knitting are especially popular, but Craft Gym also offers workshops in soap making, graphic tees, and glass etching.

To cap off the world's longest day, Linda and I grabbed Mexican food in the Mission. Now we're heading out to get breakfast and do a little shopping before my signing this afternoon.

1 comment:

michelle said...

It sounds like you are having a great trip, even with the travel SNAFUs. I, too, had an hour long wait in the shuttle line after arriving in New Orleans. It truly was the world's longest day. Thanks again for the trip the airport. I really wish the TSA had not kept us from having coffee and more conversation in the AM--really, when you get up at 4 AM, don't you deserve to gossip with your friends for a little while?!

Hope the rest of the trip continues at the fun pace you have set. I'll continue reading to follow along on your journey from afar!