Friday, June 27, 2008

The inner game of tennis

Tennis has consumed my free time these last few weeks. A typical week: two matches, social doubles on Wednesday, a class on Saturday, and practice on Sunday. It feels like too much.

Fearing I was becoming unidimensional, I was less than excited to read The Inner Game of Tennis. But the book came highly recommended by a couple of players I know, so I figured I could get through it.

It's actually a great book that transcends the sport. It reminds me of Fight Your Fear and Win. At least, the goals of the books seem the same: to help you achieve peak performance in high-pressure situations. The tennis book shows how overanalysis and attention to your game can actually undermine your success on the court.

Too bad I can't finish the book in time for my match tonight.

No comments: