Saturday, May 24, 2008

Slowing down

On Thursday, I got a speeding ticket on my way to the dentist: $130 and six points. I'm going to court in June, hoping they'll reduce the points.

It's hard to see the bright side to all of this. (Regretfully, I've rejected Addie's attempt: "At least you own a car that can go fast enough that you can get a ticket.")

My week was frustrating; I've been overwrought. And on my way back to being just wrought, I'm realizing that I need to slow down. So I'll be doing some stuff I enjoy this weekend: coffee with a friend, a graduation party, tennis practice. Even though I need to do some work as well, my goal is to just get it done. Without fretting over the injustice of having to do work over a long weekend.

I've been reading Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth. In the "Complaining and Resentment" section, he says that complaining makes a person or a situation into an enemy. The challenge is trying to recognize that it's not personal. I'm not sure that I embrace all that the book offers, but reading about those ideas right now feels like more than a coincidence.

Enough with the deep thoughts. I hope you have a great holiday weekend. And drive safely.

No comments: