Monday, August 17, 2015

Irish Fest 2014 and 2015

I just realized I never blogged about last year's Irish Fest. Strangely, I don't remember much about it, except that Denise and I were there and that Maggie took this selfie.

Maggie is great about scheduling us when we want to work, and the 4 to 8 shift is really the Fest's sweet spot: fun volunteers, easygoing customers, and time to wander around afterward.

This year's Fest had a little of everything, starting with the parking gridlock. It's too bad this is a thing, going to one lot and then getting redirected.

Within moments of walking into the tent, we were ringing up sales. There was virtually no time to chat with other volunteers (Murph, how are you doing?) or even for this selfie. (And yes, I wore the same dress and earrings last year.)  

Fortunately Jenna, who's in high school but has been volunteering for five years with her grandpa, knew just about everything. She was the go-to person about posters, sizes, and prices on the rhinestone tees. At one point I looked at her.

"Ten dollars," she said. (She just knew I was going to ask how much the backpacks were.)

Among this chaos, Margaret stopped to announce that Denise and I had been volunteers for 10 years. Everyone in the tent applauded and we got our 10-year Irish Fest pins. It was a truly awesome moment, because how often in life do you unexpectedly get applause? Thank you, Margaret and Maggie and Jenna and everyone who makes it so much fun to be a part of the Fest.

No comments: