Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tennis 2012: Le Club, Week 6 (the team)

Our team hosted Pleasant Valley yesterday, earning a 4-1 win.

Thanks to Jessica and Mary for staying late to give me match details and discuss the merits of not drinking beer. Sorry this is so brief, but Rebekah's jonesing for the recap and I have to get back to my day job.

At #3 doubles, Ann and Nora battled a tenacious team and lost 7-5, 7-6. Matches like that are so exhilarating and heartbreaking. I saw only a little bit of your match, but I know you fought hard.

At #2 doubles, Kim and Glenna finished their match quickly with a 6-1, 6-4 win. So Kim must have felt okay despite the Kopp's cheeseburger and malt an hour before the match. Glenna, I did get a few glimpses of your picture-perfect forehand. Congrats to both of you on your decisive win!

On the #1 court were Patrice and me. You can read about it in a separate superlong post. (Rebekah will tell you that I've included every thought I had during the match. The match took 2 hours and 20 minutes. What can I say, I had a lot of thoughts.)

At #2 singles, Mary told her opponent, "I'm not going to go three sets" and "You don't run an old lady back and forth." Her opponent, who is also a friend, obliged: Mary had a 6-2, 6-1 victory. Nice job on your total domination.

At #1 singles, Jessica won the first set 6-2. She mentioned footwork, "an amazing volley" (only one?!), and an "I'm too old for this" moment. (Were all of those during the same point?) Unfortunately, her opponent retired with a strained calf. A real bummer. But Jessica, I know you would've controlled the match, like you always do.

Okay everybody, thanks for all the support. Kristen, Sandy, and Rebekah, it was so nice to see friendly faces in the crowd. I started this season feeling anxious about how it would go, but I didn't need to worry. This team makes me feel totally at home.



2 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

This is a very cool post PLUS you made me laugh , very hard! I am sure you know where!!!

xox jean!

Naomi said...

Jean, it's like you're on the team. Thanks for cheering us on! :)