Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Changes large and small

Today I found out that my friend Jeremy is leaving Kalmbach. I’ll miss the ice cream sundae bar on his birthday and his deadpan use of French (“Enchanté”), but I’m excited for him. Making a change that big takes guts. It's hard to leave what you know.

Yesterday, I played doubles with Judy, the captain of our tennis team. We both wanted to play the deuce side. (With our regular partners, we always play the deuce side.) Judy was willing to rock-paper-scissors me for it, but I volunteered to take the other side. (She is really good at rock-paper-scissors, so maybe I chose the inevitable.)

Even though I was nervous because I was out of my comfort zone, it worked out okay. Better than okay, actually. We won the first set 6-1. We lost the second set but stayed with our setup, and then we won the third set.

It was nice to try something new and be successful at it. The tennis was competitive and fun and my backhand only imploded once. I'd like to try playing the ad side again. Nothing to be scared of, right?

Sometimes, saying yes brings a change for the better. Recognizing the opportunity is half the battle.

2 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I am happy you wrote this-- it was so honest and interesting!

love you! keep it up! ps: watching Enchanted--great movie! :)

Naomi said...

I haven't seen Enchanted (I'm pretty behind on movies), but I'll add it to the list. :) Thanks for all the encouragement on my blog efforts!