Saturday, December 24, 2011

A holiday tale: Baked goods

For this year's gifts, I made mint brownies.

Whether it was the minty cream cheese filling or the chocolate frosting with Andes pieces, the winterfresh bars were a hit. No complaints at Highlander, work, or Jen's baby shower.

I also tried a new recipe: peppermint bark brownies.

They were more fudgy and less cakey than the winterfresh bars, but the peppermint bark topping was nice and crunchy. It's also less work to make only one kind of batter and skip the frosting step. So each of the recipes has its appeal.

I dropped off a plate of peppermint bark brownies on the back step at my neighbor Jody's house. A couple of hours later, she called to ask what was in them: her dog, Harry, had eaten every single one. As well as the aluminum foil that covered the plate.

Even though chocolate is toxic for dogs, he was okay. Phew.

The next morning, I dropped off a plate of peppermint bark brownies on the back step at my neighbor Lori's house. She does not have a dog.

I received a card from Lori, thanking me for the gesture:

"A funny thing... I came home, saw the bag from a distance. As I got closer I saw cupcake holders on the ground. 'Something' got in the bag and ate the goodies. The plate and card remained. :)"

I'm glad it's the thought that counts, because cupcake liners littering your porch make a pretty lousy gift.

Harry and the squirrels must really like peppermint bark.

Animals 2, Naomi 0.



No comments: