Friday, August 17, 2007

Two things about turquoise hoops

One of my earring designs in 365 Earrings is a turquoise hoop with huge nuggets. These babies are 2.5 inches in diameter, and I learned two key things. First, basic geometry helped me calculate how much 20-gauge wire I'd need. Circumference equals pi times diameter, remember? For each hoop, I used 7.85 inches plus 2 inches for the wraps and the loop. Ten inches per hoop, that's more than I'd have guessed. Another way to do this: you could use a string to outline the hoop and then measure the string. Also good, but you're missing a chance to exercise your mathletic skills.

The other thing: Wear these for short periods of time. They're heavy. Even after I used a thicker earring wire and pushed a rubber ear nut close to my ear so the earring wouldn't swing, my ears were slightly numb. Just slightly. Luckily, Cathy (BeadStyle's editor) found Ear Lifts, adhesive discs that keep your lobes from getting weighed down. I just ordered some. I'll let you know how they work.

No comments: