Sunday, April 6, 2008

Use old calendars as wrapping paper

Hello Kitty wall calendars have such vibrant colors and graphics, it's hard to retire them when the year is up. I figured out a way to share the Hello Kitty love beyond its allotted time: by using the old pages to wrap gifts. (I try to hide the areas where I've written on the calendar.) Even though this isn't a revolutionary idea, I'm glad to recycle and to not have to buy low-quality wrapping paper.

Some notes:
1. Watch where the center fold goes. If the staple holes are visible, try to put the fold in an inconspicuous place. (You could probably use spiral-bound calendars, too, but the pages would be half the size of the stapled pages.)
2. Instead of cutting the paper around the gift, measure first and then use a paper cutter to neatly trim the sides. Use the extra strips for a bow or a tag.
3. If you make a bow, you can use scissors to curl the paper. Just be careful not to pull too hard, otherwise the strip will tear.

Happy wrapping!

1 comment:

michelle said...

Excellent use of the calendars. They are so brightly-colored and fun, and I have always had a hard time throwing mine out, too. I think there might be at least one of them under my in-box...