Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My bedroom redesign, Part I

My newest creative endeavor: I'm redesigning my upstairs bedroom according to feng shui principles. To get motivated, I googled the topic. It might seem a little cultish to adhere to the strict principles, but I think feng shui makes a lot of sense. For example: position the bed so you can see the door — and what's coming in and out of your life. Pretty basic, right? I found a lot of info in this CNN article.

Here's a "before" photo of my bedroom: the paint is a light periwinkle, and I don't have any art on the walls. Also, this is a finished attic room, so the ceilings are sloped. And there's a ceiling fan smack in the middle of the room, which makes bed placement more challenging. But that's a concern for another day. By the way, I will be keeping the (new) gold brocade curtains. And no, I didn't think they looked good with the current paint color.

My first task: repainting. In the past, I've favored pale, neutral shades. Flat paint. No stenciling. No unusual finishes. Just pure, serene colors. I'm a huge fan of Sherwin Williams paint: the color's pretty true to the cards, and I can usually get away with one coat plus touchups. I've heard Benjamin Moore is good but I've never used it (anyone have a recommendation?).

Next weekend, I'll do the edging and my friend Bonch will use his brawn and the rollers to do the walls. So now I'm looking at colors and considering the same ones I like in jewelry: fuchsia, purple, blue violet, and turquoise. Gemstone colors — sort of Moroccan, that will look good with gold room accents. But here's the twist: I don't always gravitate to the ornate details in Moroccan design, so I'm modifying it to keep the lines simple.

Jane, my co-worker, is helping me narrow down the palette. Eggplant and midnight blue? Too intense. Plum? Maybe too brown. Deep periwinkle? Gorgeous but not very Moroccan. Sigh. What to do? We've consulted the color wheel and stacks of paint chips, but I'm still undecided. Also, I just ordered a merlot duvet cover (or is it berry?). It will arrive in a few days and I'll have to decide 1) if I like it and 2) whether it will work in my bedroom. So many decisions.

Thank you, gentle reader, for following along on my meandering, micromanaging journey through color and texture. It appears that my designer's block is cracking, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts on paint and feng shui.

1 comment:

Site Editor said...

What a fun project! It's great that you are taking such a holistic aproach to your surroundings.

As far as paint...
I like Sherwin-Williams for coverage and the fact they have a green line of paint called "greenSure".
Have fun and let us know what you choose.